Sunday, August 03, 2008

Grandma's Chocolate Cake

I always used to make cake from a cake mix. One day when I was feeling quite domestic, I remembered making a cake from scratch with my mom using my Grandma's recipe. This was quite a while ago, but I remembered it being so moist and delicious. So, I made this chocolate cake last month for my chocolate lover friend Farmgirl's birthday. It got rave reviews, so when it was time for me to make dessert again, I thought I would keep a good thing going. Only one problem, my recipe had vanished. Gone. Disappeared.
So I looked in my Betty Crocker cookbook that I always turn to for regular recipes that most of us just open a box to make these days. There was a recipe for chocolate cake, but I knew it wasn't the same. So I went straight to the source. I called my Grandma. She told me she used to make it once a week back when she was making seven lunches every morning. I can't even imagine packing seven lunches every morning. She said she stopped making it because it always boiled over. I have never had that problem, but I always have made it in two round cake pans instead of a 9X13 dish.
So, the recipe has been saved and the finished product was delicious!
Grandma Aldridge's Quick Chocolate Cake
In a saucepan melt
3 squares of unsweetened chocolate
1/2 cup butter
Add 1 cup boiling water
Prepare
1 cup sour milk
(milk with a touch of vinegar to make 1 cup, let it sit at least 5 minutes)
In a mixing bowl stir together
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 pinch of salt
To flour mixture add the melted chocolate mixture and milk.
Beat in
2 eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla (or more to taste)
Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Enjoy!
Thanks for the recipe Grandma!

2 comments:

Casa of Corn said...

I will give a "thumbs up" for this recipe, having tried some of this cake...thanks again for hosting the party last week.
Steve

Casa of Corn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.