Monday, September 22, 2008

First of Fall

Autumn is a second spring when every flower is a leaf.
~Author Unknown ~

We celebrated the first day of our favorite season with a bike ride along the Boise River.

I have loved this bridge since the first time I saw it. The bridge itself is not all that much to look at, but just the idea of a single lane, truss bridge feels like small town living. Maybe it's because I drive over this bridge to get to one of my dearest friend's home. Or, maybe it's because my dad always slows down to look at old bridges and barns when he drives. Whatever it is, I always enjoy driving over it, riding over it, or sitting under it. The weather was perfect today. Everything was clean from the weekend's rain storm. The sky was beautifully blue with bright, white clouds floating overhead. This was all framed by trees speckled with golden and red leaves.

We took a break under the bridge to play on the bank of the river.

Little Lady built a sand castle.

Crazy Fox found a big stick and some old fishing line and fished the river a bit.Digging Badger just had fun running in the sand and being outside.Here's little Lady and me with the new bike trailer.

(She loves riding along with me and talked the entire time we were riding.)
How beautifully the leaves grow old. How full of light and color their last days.

~John Burroughs ~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I started reading this post I thought, I am going to have to tell Bridget to hand the kids her camera and have her post a photo of HERSELF sometime soon! Then I scrolled down! Kind of funny huh?!
I love autumn too. Our leaves are slowly turning here. It's cold in the morning and night but 80's in the afternoon still. Nice but hard to dress my son for school.
I love old bridges also, but I get a weird feeling going over them! I am not really scared, but my stomach just flutters! I have some really cool Route 66 bridge photos I will have to post soon, you, you made me remember them!
Have a good day my friend!

Oh, and the kids are really growing! They are beautiful as ever!

Anonymous said...

where you come from!