Thursday, September 25, 2008

I Can Can

It is beginning to feel like real country living around here.

One of our sweet neighbors invited the kids and me down to her kitchen to learn how to can. They had a bountiful crop of peaches and extra jars that she generously shared with us. We had a great day learning how to skin the peaches, (the boys favorite part) and the rest of the process. My pantry shelves look so pretty with the jars of peaches all lined up, that I was inspired to do more. We stopped at the local fruit stand last weekend and bought more peaches. I canned some, froze some and made peach pie filling with some. I also had a failed attempt at fruit leather. When we got home from the fruit stand we had two big bags of plums left by our other neighbors. I made two batches of plum jam and have some in the freezer for smoothies.
I also canned some tomatoes and made salsa from our garden tomatoes.

We also had our first full dozen fresh eggs. We had some for lunch today and they taste wonderful!

It is very satisfying to grow, harvest and preserve your own food. Knowing that our pantry is well stocked with the fresh foods of summer, that will last us all winter long, makes me feel like a woman from another era. Although I am not giving up my dishwasher or washer and dryer just yet. And I'm sure those pioneer women didn't blog about their canning experiences.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are really beautiful!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.