Wednesday, February 27, 2008

One GREAT Great Aunt

Little Lady happens to have a Great Aunt who is a fantastic seamstress. She has always amazed me with the things she can create with her sewing machine. She is very talented in so many ways, but today we'll just focus on her sewing abilities. She is the one I call when I have a question about a pattern. Everything she makes looks like it comes from a pricey boutique.So when there was talk of making Little Lady a dress a few weeks ago I was very excited. I measured Little Lady and sent the measurements to Great Aunt D. One week later I heard it was done and in the mail. Yesterday there was a box delivered to our door.

Little Lady opened it and said, "Can I wear it?"

Me: "Of course, let's try it on".

L L: "I am never going to take this off. I am going to wear it forever!"

I think Little Lady was feeling like a little princess with her head tilted just so and her hands on her lap.

There is just something about a tulle lined full skirt that makes a little girl feel good. I think it is similar to the way little boys feel when they see a puddle of mud.

Thank you Great Aunt D. for thinking of Little Lady and making her a dress she will love for a long time to come.

I had a dress like this when I was about her age. It was a gold floral print (hey it was the 70's) and it was long and it had lace around all the edges. I think it was a hand made hand-me-down but I didn't care where it had come from. I called it my Hundred Dollar Dress. I felt so fancy in that dress that I was sure it must have cost $100. And way back then that was a lot of money. Now that I think about it, that would still be a lot of money to spend on a little girl's dress. Anyway, I just loved that dress. I loved to twirl around in the kitchen while my mom was getting dinner ready. I wore it to my Great Grandma's birthday party and when she commented on how pretty it was I'm sure I told her it was my $100 dress. She must have thought my parents had gone off the deep end. I'm sure they cleared that up in a hurry. This of course is all how it seemed to a 4 year old girl in a long full dress that was dizzy from twirling through her life while wearing golden floral.

I'm sure Little Lady will have wonderful memories in this dress too!

3 comments:

Casa of Corn said...

That dress is adorable! Yes, girls, layers and ruffles just go together and L.L.looks so cute in that dress. Great job Great Aunt! *Farm-girl

Rene said...

She is getting so big! I just cannot believe how fast they grow up. That dress is adorable!! I miss you all so much! ((hugs)) Rene

Anonymous said...

I just have to tell you that I remember that $100 dollar dress. I loved it too!