Friday, February 15, 2008

Valentine's Day

This was intended for yesterday, but I ran out of day before I got a chance to post it.

Here is a fun fact for the day. This information was passed on to me by a friend.
Valentine was a third century pastor who was imprisoned for his faith. He wrote small pastoral notes to members of his congregation on leaves he was able to pluck from a maple tree just outside his cell. These little "Valentine's cards" expressed his love for his flock, and his desire that they demonstrate like love toward one another. Gradually this tradition grew up for Christians to exchange notes of love and encouragement to one another on this, his birthday. (The Christian Almanac)

I thought that was very interesting. I checked around briefly and there are differing opinions concerning February 14th. Was it his birthday or the day he died? I also read that he was in love with his jailer's daughter and left her a note signed "from your Valentine". But either way, did I really go through 13 years of Christian school and never once hear this? Or was I just not paying attention?

We joined a home school co-op and it started yesterday. The boys chose German and games. Little Lady's only choice was pre-school, so she was in there for both hours. I stayed with her the first hour and she did great. When I went to pick her up, she cried because she didn't want to leave. She loves to be around other kids. The boys learned a few words and phrases in German and then learned a few new games. They are looking forward to being able to talk in "code" to each other. (I'll have to keep up with them or I could be in trouble.)

No comments: